Saturday, January 26, 2013

Complex Text - The Leanin' Dog by K.A. Nuzum

Leanin' Dog unit
I'm excited to start a new novel unit with my class next week.  Since I'm teaching level 1 in our differentiated model, I'm a little nervous about using this novel, The Leanin' Dog.  I've used it every year and loved it.  The text is rich and complex, with a lot of figurative language, deep themes and antiquated vocabulary.  I know it will be quite a challenge for my students, but it will be a good experience for them to persist through it.  I will definitely need to scaffold the instruction.  I added my unit to my TpT store for purchase.  I spent quite a bit of time revamping this unit to align with the CCSS.  If you purchase and use this unit, be sure to visit the author's website.  She features a monthly poetry contest.  She seems to publish all poems that are sent in, and sends a Leanin' Dog Tshirt to the winner.  This is a great motivator for students.  Another great thing is that the author actually emailed me!  (so exciting -she's FAMOUS!!)  I had a student enter the contest and didn't include her name.  I couldn't believe K.A. Nuzum actually took the time to email me to see if she was one of my students.  Love that!



4 comments:

  1. I am a dog fanatic and am always on the lookout for new stories with animals. I had never heard of this book and am excited to find it through your blog. I am definitely going to check it out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really love this book! I checked out your blog and found your freebie linky party. I linked up and shared some blank game boards! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! That is my collaborative blog. I also have my own Peanut Gallery blog. Thanks for linking up with us!

      Delete
  3. Hi Shari!
    Thank you for the info. about this book! It's on my reading list now. Great blog! I'm follower # 6, and I'm going to be an empty nester within a couple of years too. I'll have to talk to The Peanut Gallery about getting a couple of dogs!
    Darlene
    meatballsinthemiddle

    ReplyDelete