Monday, March 4, 2013

Task Card Mania

Is anyone else getting nervous about state assessments?  I hate this time of year.  Even though I tell myself I've done all I can to prepare my kids, I still get myself all worked up!  We take our assessments next week.  This week I'm spending each day reviewing one standard.  I spent most of my weekend creating task cards to use for our review week.  Today, we played "Scoot" with author's purpose cards.  This turned out to be a lot of fun!  My students, as I've mentioned before, are struggling readers in 6th grade.  I've discovered that the more movement I can allow, the better they focus.  Sometimes it takes me awhile to figure these things out! :)  Anyway, today was a good day and I feel just that much closer to having the kids ready for their state assessments. 

If you haven't played "Scoot", the procedure is simple.  Place a task card at each desk, and form a traffic pattern.  Make sure the students KNOW this traffic pattern.  (Yes, I'm speaking from experience.  It's not near as much fun when people start whining "I've already been to this desk...")  Give each student a recording sheet.  They read the card and write the answer on their recording sheet before you say "Scoot".  I usually give them 30 seconds, depending on the amount of text on the cards.  Each time you say "Scoot", they pick up their pencil and recording sheet and move to the next desk.  This continues until they get back to their original desk. 

These task cards can also be used in a literacy center, as I have included a sorting mat and answer key for self checking with each set.  So far I have created a set for author's purpose, similie/metaphor, fact and opinion, and text structure.  As much as my kids loved the activity, I'm definitely going to be making more sets. 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Shari-Abbey  - Follow this link or the my store button on the side if you are interested in purchasing any of these card sets.  I also created interactive notebook pages for the kids to glue into their composition books.  The kids took their notebooks around the room with them as a reference to use while completing the cards.  I don't have one for each set yet, but the text structure and author's purpose really came in handy during this game.

The top right shows the interactive notebook pages that go with the author's purpose cards.  I printed the cards in color this time, and I felt like the students were more "into it" than yesterday, when I printed the text structure cards in black and white. 
I forgot to give my morning class the interactive notebook pages before we did the game.  They needed a reference, so I just projected the page up on the screen.  I had actually done that to teach the concept too.  For the afternoon, I had students glue the page into their notebooks.  That worked much easier. 

6 comments:

  1. I love using Scoot to review! But this post makes me wonder why I only use it in math. What a great idea to use it for author's purpose!

    Sarah
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is a very versatile game. Some days it is a lifesaver to have an activity that gets us up and moving around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I found your blog through the KS blogger links! I checked out your TPT store...what great, great products you have! Can't wait to use some of them!
    I think we should get a bloggers meet up in Wichita this summer! You up for it?
    Blessings,
    Carmen
    www.exploringthirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carmen! What a great idea! I am definitely in. I am new to blogging and don't know how to host a linky yet, but I think it would be fun do have a Kansas teacher blogs linky party with a giveaway. I'm heading to your blog right now. Thanks again, you made my day.
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kiddos absolutely LOVE playing Scoot! I also currently teach sixth grade, so it's nice to have another blog to follow. Keep sharing all of your great ideas and resources! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scoot sounds like such a fun game! I will have to try it with my first graders!

    Thanks for linking up!

    groovyeducator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete